There aren't many buildings left here but the park maintains a policy of "Arrested Decay" which means that the buildings and artifacts are maintained but not rebuilt or replaced.
The wood of the buildings has aged over the years and glows in the late afternoon sun.
The back of the brick Dechambeau Hotel and bar and the IOOF (Independent Order of Odd Fellows) hall on the left.
An old hotel and early wagon.
Bodie is a ghost town and many of the old buildings are said to be haunted.
This is the hotel and bar that housed many miners. In addition, the assay office was located toward the rear of the building.
The Boone Store contains many artifacts left as the people abandoned their homes as the easy gold panned out. They only took with them what they could carry to the next boom town. In addition to the store, there is the butcher shop and an auto repair/gas station in the building.
At certain times of day the windows reflect other areas of the town.
J.S. Cain lived in this house. He was a major property owner in Bodie and build his fortune by transporting timber across Mono Lake by barge. Timber was in short supply here but was needed to stoke the boilers that ran machinery, supported mine shafts and heated homes.
Winters in Bodie can be brutal. At over 8300 feet in altitude ... well above the tree line... wind can sweep down the hills bringing bitter drops in temperature. In 1999 Bodie registered the nation's lowest daily temperature 71 times.
Looking down from Bodie Bluff on the main buildings in town.
The Swazey Hotel is being shored up to keep them from falling down. This is an example of "arrested decay" in progress.
The sawmill in town was one of the busy places. Bodie is above the tree line and big logs were hauled into town where they were sold and cut up for construction or firewood to power the stamp mill or other steam powered machinery.
Electric power was slow in coming to Bodie but it finally arrived at the mill. It was a number of years later that electricity came to the homes and businesses in town. It was believed initially that electricity could only travel in a straight line so the wires were strung with great precision.
The Methodist Church was first built in 1882 and was one of the two churches in town.
There were 65 saloons in town and only two churches. The last service at the Methodist church was conducted in 1932.
Each season is unique in Bodie but the spring/early summer when flowers begin to bloom seems even more special.
ARTIFACTSBODIEBODIE STATE HISTORIC PARKCALIFORNIAGHOST TOWNGOLD MININGHISTORYOLD BUILDINGS